Amsterdam is one of the most vibrant cities in Europe (and the world) and has lots of unique experiences. From local bars inspired by the multiculturalism of Amsterdam to some of the best snacks in on the planet. We sat down and listed our Top 50 Things to Do, Eat and Drink in Amsterdam. Let’s go!
1. Rent a boat at Mokum Boten and sail through the maze of canals. No license required. Don’t forget to stock up on snacks and drinks beforehand.
2. Rent a bike and get lost in the tiny alleyways.
3. Visit the Anne Frank Museum. Be sure to pre-book.
4. Get sporty and run a lap of the famous Vondelpark.
5. Get out of Amsterdam. A great city to visit is Utrecht. Only 30 minutes away by train!
6. While you’re at it hop by Leiden, the Hague and Rotterdam as well.
7. Visit the recently renovated Rijksmuseum.
8. And while you’re there check out the rest of the Museum Plein which also houses the Stedelijk Museum and van Gogh Museum.
9. Dance your night away at a concert at Paradiso or Melkweg.
10. Get your hands on some fresh stroopwafels and cheese at the famous Albert Cuyp market.
12. Go boutique shopping at the Negen Straatjes (Nine Streets). A great place for second-hand goods and fancy new ones.
13. Let the staff at coffeeshop Siberië guide you through a proper weed experience for a proper Amsterdam high.
14. If you’re a film buff, visit the EYE museum for film exhibitions and screenings.
15. Take a day trip to Giethoorn and join the tourists at the Venice of the North.
16. Pose with a million other people in front of the I Amsterdam sign. The permanent installations are at the Rijksmuseum and Schiphol Airport but real Instagrammers will find the travelling one…
17. Watch Ajax play at the Amsterdam Arena. It’s a great experience even if you’re not into football!
18. Visit the world famous Red Light District. It’s a beautiful area of Amsterdam and provides some really good photo opportunities at night when the lights come on. Just make sure you don’t take pictures of the working ladies (unless you want to lose your camera).
19. Visit Amsterdam in the midst of winter. Strap on your skates and skate the famous canals!
20. Visit the Heineken Experience to learn more about the history of one of the world’s most famous beers (and do some tastings!).
21. Put on your swimsuit and head to Bloemendaal to sip cocktails on the beach (and to go for a dip!).
22. In October, dance the night (and day) away as Amsterdam hosts the world famous Amsterdam Dance Event.
23. Explore the Jordaan, one of Amsterdam’s most picturesque neighbourhoods and a great place for shopping and café hopping.
EAT & DRINK
24. Have a drink and roti at Waterkant. A bar inspired by one of Holland’s old colonies, Suriname.
25. Or if you want to try a lot of different dishes try the Rijsttafel at Kantjil en de Tijger, which serves food from another well known Dutch colony, Indonesia.
26. Have an amazing meat feast at Cannibale Royale. Arguably the best place for a steak and ribs in Amsterdam.
27. Visit the city’s ultimate video game bar the Ton Ton Club. There is a location in de Wallen and at the Westergasfabriek.
28. Have a beer at Brouwerij ‘t IJ. The famous Amsterdam Brewery on the IJ (the big waterway behind Amsterdam Central Station).
29. Feast on Dutch Mussels and Gin at Mossel & Gin also at the Westergasfabriek.
30. Visit Febo to try some of the best Dutch snacks out of the wall (raampje). Try the kroket, frikandel and kaassouffé for the ultimate combo.
31. And.. go to Par Hasard to try all the deep fried Dutch specialities in a dinner setting #datenight
32. Try the famous patat oorlog (war fries) at Frietsteeg. Or just smother them in Dutch mayo.
33. Have a drink at Hoxton Hotel and relax in one of their comfy lounges
34. Have a very unconventional super Dutch dinner at Bistro Bij Ons.
35. Sip on a beer while floating on a permanently docked pontoon on the world famous Prinsengracht at Café P96.
36. Have Michelin star Asian Fusion at Ron Gastrobar Oriental.
37. Take the free ferry across the IJ to explore Amsterdam North and have lunch at the beach at Pllek.
38. Try one (or many) of the over 50 flavours of Dutch liqueur at Wynand Fockink. Located right next to the famous Dam.
39. Order some toasties with your beer at Hanneke’s Boom while you watch the boats float by on the IJ.
40. Try all the beers at Bierfabriek while you throw peanut shells on the floor.
41. Sample more beer at Troost another famous Amsterdam craft brewery with several locations throughout the city.
42. Have dinner at Happy Happy Joy Joy. A super hip fusion Asian affair with reasonable prices.
43. Have the ultimate hangover cure. A pancake stack at MOOK Pancakes!
44. Feast on the ultimate Dutch snack the Kapsalon! (seriously it’s like the best snack ever.)
45. Hang out around the famous Amstel river and have lunch at the Ysbreker.
46. Have Amsterdam’s best cocktails at Hiding in Plain Sight.
47. Try fresh Herring and eat it the Dutch way!
48. Visit the Foodhallen to taste the flavours of multicultural Holland.
49. Watch the sunset over Amsterdam while sipping on a fancy cocktail at SkyLounge.
50. Feast on the ultimate Dutch beer snack, the bitterbal. Taste different experimental flavours at De Ballenbar!
Have a great time in Amsterdam and be sure to tag us in any of your pictures – @anydoko and #ExploreAnywhere!
Writer: Vikash Autar